Monday, September 28, 2009

Pizza Fusion = Wallet Transfusion

Pizza Fusion = Wallet Transfusion

Last week, I had lunch at the organic, earth friendly new pizza place, Pizza Fusion, located on 5th Avenue. I was there once before, lured in by the enticing window advertisement of gluten free (and organic wheat) pizza, organic ingredients, and being voted “Best Organic Pizza” by New Times and Citylink. I love pizza, and I try to eat gluten and wheat free as often as I can remember to, even though I do not have any allergies to them. I just do it for the sake of being health conscious. And yes, the pizza here is as good as they make it sound! However, it doesn’t come cheap, at least not the gluten free variety, which I had on my last visit.

Pizza Fusion does not have personal sized gluten free pizzas, only personal sized wheat crusted ones. One size fits all when you’re trying to void out gluten, and that size is colossal. The starting price for large in the wheat variety was $14, add an extra $5 for gluten free, then each topping, an additional cost. By the time the total is added up for the cost of the pizza alone, I was looking at $33. “And would you like a soda or small side salad with that?”

This time I decided to go the cheaper route. Luckily, the lunch special, and the friendly, tattooed waitress wanted to make this easy on me. You could get the personal sized pizza, with any topping you wanted, for only $10.99, and that low price included a small side salad and natural soda. Luckily, my stomach could handle the wheat, because my wallet couldn’t handle the down-payment for another gluten free pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment